We all know that the fabric softener ads often portray an image of comfort, freshness and sweetness. But, the real and ugly truth is that most fabric softeners contain a long list of known toxins and chemicals, which can enter your body through the skin and by inhalation, causing a wide range of health problems, particularly for young children.
The fabric softeners are made up of pernicious chemicals combined with a hefty dose of fragrance. The fragrance chemicals are particularly difficult to remove because they have been designed to cling dearly to fabric so the signature scent stays in the clothing. This is called “fragrance substantively,” which describes how long a fragrance lasts on a particular surface and how it is affected by temperature, humidity, and other conditions.
These are the most common toxic chemicals, found in all fabric softeners:
- Alpha-Terpineol – this is a dangerous toxic chemical, which can cause many health problems, such as: dizziness, headaches, hunger, memory loss, numbness in face, pain in neck and spine.
- Benzyl Acetate – is a toxic substance and this substance has been linked to pancreatic cancer. Its vapors can be irritating to eyes and respiratory passages and it can also be absorbed through the skin.
- Benzyl Alcohol – benzyl alcohol can cause many health problems, such as: central nervous system disorders, headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and dramatic drops in blood pressure.
- Chloroform – chloroform is a powerful carcinogenic neurotoxin and it may cause many health problems, such as: loss of consciousness, nausea, headache, vomiting, and/or dizziness, drowsiness.
- Linalool – linalool is a narcotic, known to cause respiratory problems and it causes the so-called loss of muscle coordination.
TIP: avoid fabric softeners, and use natural alternatives instead, which are much safer and more effective.
Share your healthy lifestyle with friends and family.